Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nutrition AND Dr. Seuss AND St. Patrick's Day! Whew!

Yippee!!!
It's a long weekend!  We have Family Day here in Ontario (Canada) on Monday and in case you can't haven't guessed...I'm thrilled to have that extra day off!

We were busy little *smarties* this week learning all about nutrition.  I call my students *smarties* but this week I had a student remark "Hey, that's JUNK food! You can't call us that!"  Needless to say, I have been refraining from using that word!
At least my kiddies are learning, right!


My students worked in partners and they had to measure each other using "pancakes" (I love using these pretend pancakes because we talked about healthy/unhealthy food and Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday!)
The kiddies had to also measure other things around the class with their partner and record it on their worksheet.
This activity showed me not only who was understanding the concept of measurement but which students liked (and were able) to work with other students.

We are going to be doing this fun cut and paste with grocery flyers next week.
You can find these activities and LOTS more in my

I had a chance today to finish working on a few Write the Room centers.  There were several teachers who wrote to me asking if I would create a St. Patrick's Day Write the Room activity and a Cat in the Hat Write the Room activity.
Done!

If you are not familiar with my Write the Room Center activities here goes...

My students have always loved writing words around the classroom carrying clipboards (something about carrying a clip board, I tell 'ya!).  We started by writing sight words...well, that lasted a few weeks when boredom hit!
I decided to "jazz" up this centre by having students hunt for theme-based words which were hidden around my classroom (i.e. on the wall, cubbies, teacher's desk, door, filing cabinet, etc.).  To add to this, I created cute cut-outs and attached the word and picture beside it (I find that most kindergarten students need that picture).  Let me tell you -
it was as though I invented electricity!
My students simply *ADORE* going to this centre!
(And it's February!)
I switch the words around the room every few weeks or when we introduce a new topic.  The words up in my classroom now are Nutrition.

Many of you already have a Write the Room centre during your literacy centre time.  I would love to hear if you do things differently.


I will be giving BOTH of these two new Write the Room activities to 3 lucky people!

Simply leave me a comment telling me which Write the Room Center that I have created is your favourite and/or what you would like me to create in the near future as a Write the Room Center and I will choose 3 people at random.
Contest closes Sunday at midnight!

Happy long weekend!

39 comments:

  1. My students and I loved your Winter themed write the room activities. The visual with pictures and matching words are very helpful for my ELL sweeties. Thanks for making and sharing such great activities. I'd love to win your Cat in the Hat and St. Patrick's Day packs!!
    Brianne
    bmiller@lockport.wnyric.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the winter themed write the room! My kiddos love this center! I was a little scared about the kiddos roaming around the room and playing but they love it and when we don't have this center they are always upset.

    Anyhoo I would love the dr. seuss pack
    Pocket Full of Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love one of you write the room activities. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cat in the Hat write the room -- I'm a student teacher currently and my cooperating teacher has a Dr. Seuss-themed room, so this would be AMAZING to do with our kiddos on Dr. Seuss Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your write the room activities look great!! I would love to see an Easter or Spring theme Write the Room!!
    bl3982@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids love to "write the room". They always think they are on an easter egg hunt. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last one (freebie) with letter M - spring words - last names is the only one I have--love that my kids have something to do while not assigned to a center!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love creative ideas for writing the room. It is a great literacy center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your "Write the Rooms," though Thanksgiving is my favorite because that is around the time that I discovered these super cute "Write the Rooms." I would love to see a spring (plants) or even dinosaur "Write the Room."

    heathernnance@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love write the room and so do my kiddos! I would love to see an owl themed Write the Room!
    luvmykinders@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your write the rooms. You have great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your write the rooms. As always you do a terrific job on your units. I would love to see a spring, easter, and perhaps an ocean one.
    Trinh
    trinh.tran75@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I won and loved your winter write the room packet. I loved that it came with many different recording sheets!
    Aconnolly1216@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog! I love both write the room packets...allowing students to have independence with these centers is awesome! I would love to see your spring or easter packets.

    Thanks!
    Mireya
    yayaagu@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started the year out with your back to school write the room and it was great to introduce school vocabulary. We have continued with different themes throughout the year. I have watched my students writing get better each week with this activity.

    marci_o@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Nutrition Write the Room because not only does it incorporate Reading and Writing, we can integrate Science and Health too!

    rmariemuniz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to see an easter write the room.

    jjn2home@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids loved your Thanksgiving write the room Pack. They had do much fun! Patty's day is my favorite, do thus is an activity I would love :)

    Maria
    Manakans@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for my autocorrects! We had so much fun and this is an activity that I would love! Haha

      Delete
  19. My students enjoy all the write the room activities!! Any opportunity to use a clip board they love!!

    Ali
    alischepis(at)gmail.com
    What happens in kindergarten... lasts a lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although I love them all, Dr. Seuss would have to be my favorite because my classroom theme is Seuss!
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. A day called family day. That is wonderful.


    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this Cat in the Hat Write the Room.

    crhdouglas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love love love your Cat in the Hat Write the Room!

    Lisa
    fsuteach81@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just found your blog! I did write the room when I taught 1st grade and love the Dr. Seuss idea! I'd love to see a physical education write the room in the future :)
    nodoubtlearning (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to see a write the room that could be used all year long. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like both of your new "Write the Room" products. I'm having a hard time deciding a favorite between them, as they're both so useful! I'd like to see a "spring themed" Write the Room activity next. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    amelias.schaeffer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm going to second the call for a Dinosaur themed Write the Room! I have some boys who would love that! I think your Write the Room activities are awesome, who can pick just one??

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten
    ingen77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the Dr. Seuss write the room. It's great how it can be differentiated. I can print them on 2 different colors of paper, and tell my readers to look for the "red" words, and the ones who aren't reading can find the "white" words,the ones that have pictures. And the recording sheets are differentiated as well. Thanks for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like them all! The Cat in the Hat might become my favorite though!

    Kate
    dancinqueenks23@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. All of your Write the Room activities are great! The Cat in the Hat one would be a hit, for sure!

    zumbahawkins@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love all of them but my favorite would probably be the Dr. Seuss. My kids love write the room activities.
    rose
    "the wonderful World of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for making a St. Patrick's Day and a Dr. Seuss write the room. My first one was the winter and I am now addicted!

    kremh@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love to win these to give them a try. I've done Write the Room activities, but none of yours yet! Hopefully, this will be my lucky day!
    Krissy
    Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think your write the room activity is great! We do write the room, but LOVE the twist that they have to find theme words! Would you consider doing it for beginning sounds? For instance all G words? Etc... I think the Dr. SUESS is my favorite. lynnetoups@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cat in the Hat is my favorite by FAR!
    For your great work, you deserve a gold STAR!

    kinderteacher100@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the Dr. Seuss write the room activity!
    sdavis6281@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I also have just discovered your write the room activities! I am planning a big Dr. Seuss unit, so I am looking forward to adding it.

    ReplyDelete